This message is from: Ursula Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This is Ursula Jensen responding to Glen's question about training his own
Fjord.

I tend to believe that you can do this yourself, Glen, but I also believe
you will have to make a strong commitment to the cause. There are many
learning opportunities out there to help you in the process ie. books,
videos, clinics. but one of the things only experience will teach you is the
very subtle language and communication of the horse.The slight movement of
an ear,or mouth, the turn of the head or body etc. are often missed by
novice trainers but are important clues in training and speak volumes in
horse terms.Spend time watching your horse in the herd and you will learn a lot.
Understanding herd behavior as mentioned in previous posts and some basic
understanding of pressure and consequence/reward is vital before you chose a
training method. Many beginners misinterpret horse behavior in human terms
(to human behavior)(there is a big long word for this but it escapes me, )
which can cause some real problems in the long run.The most common being
'spoiling' the animal. I have seen one too many spoilt Fjords and am
regularily approached about re-training or selling  such an animal. I find
it sad when that happens because once again it's not the horse's fault but
he/she  suffer the ultimate consequence.
I believe that in the past, some Fjords have been unfairly represented. I
have heard stories about Fjords not needing sequential training as they are
so gentle and kind that you just throw a saddle on them and away you
go...This stuff makes me wild as it's so unfair to the breed. Sure they tend
to be quiet and very forgiving but when left to their own devices can also
become very strong, very stubborn and downright unsafe. There are a lot of
first time horse owners with Fjords that have been sold that bill of goods
and have learned some hard lessons in the process.
The best part of training a young Fjord yourself is that they 'Are' much
more forgiving, and quiet enough for you to learn along with them. Don't
take any shortcuts and most of all,treat them like a horse. The opportunity
for getting to know your horse and developing a strong bond is the most
rewarding part of doing your own training.......But do your homework first.
|       Ursula & Brian Jensen from Trinity Fjords       |