This message is from: Ursula Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello all...there have been some real good items discussed in the last
week...Dave made a good point about fitness, may I add that not letting your
Fjords get too svelte ( I'm sensitive about the word fat:) ) over winter.
Brian kept our herd a lot trimmer this winter and it has made bringing them
back into shape a lot less work. I know that's a hard thing for all of us as
these horses have a way of coaching extra rations out of us.
Another discussion mentioned Lyons, Parelli and Hemfling etc. which makes me
wonder how many Fjord owners are using these more 'natural' methods in their
training. Personally, I feel it's the only way to go for Fjords but have
found also, that some of the activities such as Parelli's 'Porcupine Game'
have interesting reactions. Wheras another breed would react/respond
instantly and/or actively, the Fjord will endure much more pressure. Who
else has found that? Another item I found interesting was the wiggling of
the lead rope to get the horse to back off. My young colt really doesn't
care how hard you wiggle the rope, he just stands there. I sure do like the
idea of giving our Fjord friends a lot more credit and respect by using some
of these more humane methods. I was part of a Natural Horsemanship List
until recently and it brought forth many good discussions and information.
Hopefull this List will have the same impact for members.

Here is something I discovered today....I am sick of all the hair on my
jackets when going out to brush the horses. I sprayed 'Static Guard" on my
coat today to see if it would help...& by gosh it was so much easier to get
rid of the hair. I just shook my jacket and the hair fell off....

Dee Anna...good article on bits...I know you like  the research end of
horsemanship and can see where your knowledge can be a real asset to this
list.That kind of info benefits everyone.

There also has been some mention of the Blue Earth Show and the NFHR
Evaluation. Just wanted to mention the western equivalent: The Libby Show in
Libby Montana in Sept. For those of us out here in the west it's a showcase
for our Fjords and a real family oriented experience. The show focuses on a
relaxed atmosphere catering to all levels of competition and highlighting
the versatility of the Fjord. It's held in conjunction with the local
Nordicfest.The Pacific Northwest Promotional Group sponsors this event and
has drawn competitors from as far away California,New Mexico, New Hampshire,
Vermont, British Columbia, Ontario and the mid-west..just to mention a few.

Have NFHR members received their fjord Herald? Some good articles in there,
eh? (thought I'd throw the 'eh' in there to make sure you know I'm from Canada.
Happy Easter Fjording to you all.

Ursula Jensen, Trinity Fjords, Lumby B.C.

PS. I'm using Eudora so if I need to change anything in the formating, I
would have absolutely no clue as to how....my son Aaren set me up with this
and I know how to get in and out and basic use of the program...please let
me know if it's a problem.
|       Ursula & Brian Jensen from Trinity Fjords       |