> [EMAIL PROTECTED] quoted/wrote:
>
> > Cynthia Madden wrote:
> > "... Stopping a Cantering Fjord ... We finally solved it when
> > we learned about "doubling."
>
> don't double a horse unnecessarily. It's strenuous for the horses to
> do -- and is meant only as something for unusual circumstances, not a
> routine activity during riding.
>
> DeeAnna

Early in our lessons, our instructor tried to teach us about doubling,
and also the emergency dismount.  Her version of doubling involved
taking a handful of mane, half-way up the neck, to help anchor the
reins, and her emergency dismount started with leaning quickly forward
(to help provide the swing needed to get the offside leg over the
horse's rump)---which usually meant planting a hand in the middle of
the neck, again.  She had us practice both maneuvers, gently, at low
speeds.  Unfortunately, we didn't get very far, as both of our Fjord
geldings would "helpfully" stop as soon as we grabbed manes and put
pressure onto their necks!  (However, my husband has had to use
doubling to stop Rom out on the trail a couple of times, so even our
brief lessons did help.)

In Sleepy's case, I think this was something he was taught.  He was
used for 2 or 3 summers by an outfitter, carrying packs and dudes into
the wilderness---circumstances in which, if his "load" got
off-balance, the best thing to do was stop and let someone fix it.
We later had a "John Lyons"-type trainer teach the same to Rom.  I'm
not qualified to say how it's done, but I certainly like having a
horse whose motto is, "When in doubt, stop"!

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------