This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Welcome Sheila.  I just wanted to tell you how my fjord at eight and up
became a tense wreck when the trainer came.  He was always reluctant to take
the canter and he knew when she came it was stressful canter time.  She
would work him until he took the canter and would not let him run into it.
I suffered with him as he would be soaking wet from stress and work.  He
certainly did not enjoy it nor did I.  After these training sessions I would
ride him more leisurely and if we were to canter I would surprise him and
ask for it from the walk rather than the old walk, trot , canter routine..
It did not give him a chance to start his tension and speedy trot.

Your boy is pretty young to be in stressful situations and should be at a
level where he enjoys what he is doing.  What is happening to him now will
affect his future work.  It might be a good time to take some time off and
have some fun and trail rides.  Also at three, exercise often causes spurts
in growth and the horse should be rested during these growth periods, which
can occur until around seven.  Good excuse to take him out of training for
awhile!!!

He seems to face stress with a nervous reaction, perhaps his personality or
the early experience of the stallion and not knowing how to protect himself
without further pain.        Jean

Aberdeen, WA
[Authoress of "The Colonel's Daughter"
Occupied Germany 1946 TO 1949 ]