This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gail,
So sorry you are having a hard time trying to get thru to the Vaquero people. I do believe that the Round Pen Supply, (at the Trail Less travelled magazine), now stock the Vaquero stuff, but at a little markup. Please go ahead and re-post if you want about the bosal stuff. It is really a great piece of equipment to use on a fjord, no matter your discipline - IF it is correctly adjusted and used. Just can't beat 'em. While I am at it, I would like to re-iterate that Gail is talking about a rawhide core/rawhide plaited bosal hackamore (jaquima), NOT a mechanical hack. Night & day, black and white difference between these two types of bridles. Got into quite a little debate about them, and don't want to go there and ruffle them feathers again. Before I take my leave here, just wanted to give Beth Beymer an "atta girl" for her great post a couple of days ago, about western vs. dressage,etc, and that it all comes down to how you use your seat and legs, THEN hands. Also a very good point made about working away and OUT of the arena. Nothing could cause your horse to "listen" any better to you, IMO. As regards neckreining, you really have to be extremely consistant with your hands and seat, more so than if you were riding two handed in a snaffle.Just gotta remain conscious of your every move, every step of the way 'til it becomes second nature. I kinda learned the hard way, as I had to teach my horse at the last minute, (3 weeks before), for the '98 evals. Got great advice from a local oldtimer stock horse guy, and also from Al Dunning's very readable book on reining published by Western Horseman. I can't stress it enough either, the importance of lateral work, bending, & just plain breaking things up and making a lesson fun and creative through the use of obstacles, natural & man made.
Oh! one last thing - (almost forgot to mention!)

__________ADVERTISEMENT!!!_______>Delete here if not interested..____

I will be hosting a 3 day clinic here at the ranch with Matt Sheridan, June 23-25. Matt is a full-time teacher, who loves to teach horsemanship and ranch roping on his summer vacations. He is an awesome teacher, very patient and clear in his direction. He comes from a working cowhorse background, (his dad trained bridle horses ),he cowboyed out in the Nevada backwater, and he is a good friend & student of Buck Brannaman. We will have cattle to work again this year, and we have also added ranch roping to the menu. The clinic is limited to 10 riders, so please let me know your intentions, so I can reserve a spot. we will begin taking deposits in April. Besides a great clinic, we also offer good stabling & great trails, Tahoe, and a killer BBQ on Sat nite. Email privately, thanks.

Have fun out there everyone!
Karen