This message is from: "Janne Myrdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi list,

greetings from N. Dakota.  Unusually beautiful day here, but a sad day for
us as our mare lost her foal this morning.  She was due any day and doing
fine, not showing ANY of her usual signs yet, but you could tell she was
getting ready.  Then this morning I came down to let her out (have been
putting her in at night now)  and as soon as I opened the door she called to
me, and there in the stall was a beautiful, BIG filly, dead.  Uffda.   I
just love this mare (  F.A. Heidi) , she nudged and talked to me and
literally pushed me over to her baby, as to say;"help me out, she won't
move".  I got the sense she had been waiting on me to come and help.  ( You
just have to love those eyes)   Well, to make a looooooong day and a
looooooong story short, there was nothing we could have done as the foal
apparently had been dead for a few days and the mare "aborted" it. I have
never seen it so late on tho, but it looks like the oxygen supply was taken
by either the weight of the filly separating the placenta, or a twist and
weight on the cord.  It was a huge baby!! (Brian, forgive me for the
paraphrasing of my vet's explanation, english is after all my second
language)  My vet is a good one and tho you always tend to go "I should have
done something, I should have...."  Sometimes nature just does this and
..... Well we can't do something about everything.  Sooooo sad tho.  Uffda
uffda uffda!!!!!!!!!

Well, onwards we go.  Ingrid is due in a few days and we pray it goes well.
This is what we sometimes have to go through when we partake in such
adventures.

God Bless!!

Janne Myrdal in warm and sunny ND, but with a cloud over our barn tonight.