This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

His Lisa,

My goal is to 1) determine he is stallion material and then, AFTER THAT 2)
determine if his bloodlines are needed.  If he is brown dun, there is
certainly an argument that his bloodlines are already well represented in
this area.  IF he is a grey of stallion quality- then he has the same
bloodlines, with an additional factor, he is grey.  In that case, I believe
he could improve the strain of Fjords that are grey.  Of course, if he is -a
PERFECT stallion (not likely- but we could hope), then I would have a
responsibility to keep him intact, brown or grey.

The argument for selecting for color AFTER determining overall breeding
suitability, is to make sure that Fjords of grey coloring have equally good
conformation to the brown.  To do that, it is well to have a variety of good
breeding stock that carries the grey gene.  You are right, of course, that
breeding for color adds a varable that dilutes the focus from other desired
characteristics.  For example, in this case, I do not think Odin will have a
*perfect* head - so I suppose, were I not selecting based on color, I might
demand a perfect head.  However, I do not intend to keep intact a stallion
who is not superior.

My intent is to leave intact a grey stallion who would be sufficiently
desireable *that YOU would come breed to him if he were brown dun.*  Only
difference would be that he would have the *additional* feature of being grey.

I feel like having a stallion is a HUGE responsibility.  Romulus is really
going to be enough for me.  If Odin is grey, I would likely try to sell him.
So Lisa, - if he passes muster as a Superior stallion - you buy him - I
won't tell you whether he is brown or grey (action videos will be color
screened - you wear dark glasses to view him).  Then I can have the
opportunity to breed him to my mares, and you get all the responsibility.
<VBG>

In any case - at some point Lisa, Peg and I should swap videos of Rocky,
Lisa's colt (sorry, can't remember his name) and ODin - and show each other
what we see in babies we have kept intact (Rocky until last summer).  I
would love to have an outside view of Odin's gaits - with footage of his dam
- which *I - with barn blind eyes* think is lovely - and that Odin has
inherited.  Would probably be a fun mutual education process.  Ship out a
packet of three videos to each other for comment.  (of course right now I
don't even have the video camera) :)  I wouldn't *promise* to geld him based
on the feedback - but I might learn something. :)

BTW - recommendations on video cameras gratefully accepted - I missed part
of that discussion last week.

 There are wonderful Grey
>stallions like Erland, if  you want color and superb confirmation.

Erlend is wonderful - but he is related to lots of horses in the PNW - and
to many of the greys.  And, I think Odin may be better in some areas than
Erlend, not as good in others.

Gail
Gail Russell
Forestville CA