This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 2/19/00 11:23:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Gayle,
   I liked your post so much I saved it and also forwarded it to a friend who
 kind of disparages western and rides dressage.  I had some lessons western
in
 a roping saddle where I could never feel the horse or feel balanced and get
 my legs under me where I thought they should be.  I had some cutting lessons
 25 years ago and remember the saddle being more comfortable.  I have a
 dressage saddle and love the way I can feel the horse and align my body.
 Also I am heavy and appreciate the lightness of the saddle.  But I think
 reining is fascinating (they teach it at the University here and have an
 olympic team).  Is there a saddle for that where you could feel your horse,
 balance properly, doesn't weigh a ton and would also fit my fjords?  And if
 it's a stupid question, please help me be one ounce less stupid.  Gail-Dorine

Hi Gail,

I just replied to Jean Gayle concerning contact and Western horses.  You
should probably forward that to your dressage friend too!

I have heard these same comments many times, English saddles Vs Western.  No
doubt about it, Western saddles are heavier and there is a lot more leather
between the rider's leg and horse in a Western saddle.  Guess it is what you
are used to.  I've never had trouble communicating and feeling the horse,
even through all of the leather.  I will say that Western riders have 'seen
the light' so to speak.  I have noticed in the past few years, saddle makers
are designing Western saddles with that in mind and are decreasing the 'bulk'
under a rider's legs.

There are as many different 'types' of Western saddles as there are English.
Some 'feel' better and are more comfortable for both horse and rider than
others.  My very most favorite Western saddle is a Crates reiner/cutter.  It
has a QH tree and fits MOST Fjords.  It seems to put the rider right into the
horse's center of gravity.  Saddle making is an ever-changing industry too.
Crates has recently come out with a new type tree called an Equi-flex.
Supposedly (haven't studied all of the facts about it) it is more forgiving
and will fit a wide variety of backs.

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR