This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur  Rivoire)

Good Morning from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia where it
was 50 degrees at 7 am. (I thought that was newsworthy coming from  Eastern
Canada.)

I can't tell you how heartened I was this morning to read Julie's post
regarding the planned Norwegian/Dutch Evaluation in Vermont end of
September.  When I read Sherri's post calling it a "slap in the face" to
the American Evaluation Committee, I didn't at all agree.  Neither did I
agree with Gayle's opinions in this regard.

  My feeling was quite the opposite.  I feel the people serving on the
Evaluation Committee are dedicated to the breed with a strong desire to
perpetuate the quality of horse inherited from Europe. ---- I don't believe
the members are insulted.  Quite the opposite!  They must be gratified that
someone has taken the initiative (with Board approval) to hold an
Evaluation using 100% QUALIFIED, totally UNIMPEACHABLE JUDGES, because it's
an AFFIRMATION of their efforts. ---  Quite contrary to an "insult" ---
this is nothing but a good thing for American Fjordhorses, and for the
American Evaluation program.

As to any perceived bias on Van Bon's part, that's absolutely untrue,
something I know for a fact having seen him in action myself.

Years ago, Beaver Dam Farm imported a top quality evaluated "Star Mare"
for a customer.  The horse arrived, was in good condition, and the customer
loved her.  They bred her, she had her foal, and the following Fall they
took her to Woodstock, VT for the first ever American Evaluation. (THAT WAS
15 YEARS AGO!)  There were three judges - Van Bon from Holland, Arve
Rostadt from Norway, and Ken Demers from America.

The highly rated Dutch "Star Mare" we'd imported was judged, and not given
a good score.  The owners were extremely disappointed and angry.   I was
embarrassed! --- The judges were MATTER OF FACT, SURE OF THEIR DECISION,
and NOT THE LEAST BIT INFLUENCED by anything or anybody.

 The fact that Beaver Dam Farm was a good customer meant nothing. I truly
do not believe these people can be influenced. Their mandates from their
Breed Societies, and their dedication to the breed is too strong.

 The reason the good mare was poorly judged was  she was in  bad conditon
after having weaned the foal.  The judges had no choice but to judge what
they saw.  Now,  you might say, (and I did) - "Why couldn't they look
beyond the poor condition to the innate quality of the horse?"  The answer
is that horse judges have to judge WHAT THEY SEE ON THE DAY.  That's the
name of the game and why people go to such efforts to have their horses in
maximum condition and training before a show or evaluation.

The great thing about the Norwegian and Dutch systems is that the judging
is  straight-forward and unbiased, and the judges are 100% qualified.
OWNERS CAN TRUST THE SYSTEM!  The American Evaluation Committee is creating
a system for North America based on what's worked in Europe, modifying it
to meet our needs. We hope and trust that this American system will serve
the breed as well as the European system has.

If anybody on the E. C. is anything but pleased that Fjord owners in New
England will have the opportunity to have their horses judged by Van Bon
and Rostadt, I will be EXTREMELY SURPRISED, and I don't expect to be
surprised.

Respectfully,  Carol Rivoire

Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II