This message is from: Anita Unrau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Greetings to all the new people enjoying the list and all the others as well.

Like everyone else we are busy trimming manes, getting rid of ticks, etc.  When
inside I am trying to get caught up
on the Fjord list and answer some of the questions.
Mary's vet suggestion of a necklace and earrings made of horse teeth didn't
appeal to me but when Orville got home
from Calgary and I told him he thought it would be neat.  I found a couple more
teeth in the feed bunks.
Enjoyed reading about the mane trimming.  A few years ago we were going through
Wisc. and  one of our must stop
places is the Fleet Farm store in Menomonie.  Lots of room to park the truck
and trailer and easy access off and on
from the interstate.  While Orville was wandering through the hardware and
getting all his nuts, bolts, screws etc
for the next while he came across some funny looking scissors with grey handles
and a orange clip.  He thought they
might work okay for trimming manes.  The shape lent themselves to easier
handling and he found they worked
wonderfull for all kinds of manes.  Until I starting reading all the different
emails about the Fiskars I didn't
know what they were called.  Sure enough when I went out to the barn to check
we do own a pair a Fiskars and they
are the best thing we have found for trimming Fjord manes.
Brian asked about how we would introduce two mature stallions that have never
been together.  We we bought Orrjo and
Leidjo in Norway in 1985 one of the considering factors after disposition and
conformation was the fact that they
had spent their yearling and two year old summers running up the mountain with
the other Fjord Stallions and the
Dolehest stallions.  Out of 20 odd stallions of various ages we were told that
Orrjo was the boss. They were turned
out everyday together during the winter and we seen how they interacted with
each other.  After we imported them and
got them home we turned them back out together with our other stallions and
they thought it was normal.  In our
breeding program if a stallion will not get along with the other stallions in
the off season we would not keep them
as a stallion.  Disposition is the top priority and that can not be sacrificed
for other things.
Because we are sorting horses around and going to be bringing the mares home to
get ready for foaling we separated
the stallions yesterday.  They are just starting to get their hormones going
and the fillies are starting to come
into heat.  Usually we wait a little later to separate but with Orville leaving
on Thursday to go to Wisconsin I
wanted everything done before he left to make chores easier for me.  Our
daughter is going on this trip as one of
her geldings was sold and she will be doing the riding on the two that are
going for sale.  She also wants to see
the Akal-Teke stallions in Green Bay that Nyla Naniot owns.  A white dun filly
is going to Nyla's as well if anyone
would like to come and see her sometime.  Not many white duns around.

In Oct. 1981 we stopped off in England for a few days on our way to Norway to
buy mares.  Prior to leaving I had
contacted Lady Kidd at her Maple Stud I believe it was called and arranged for
us to go and see her Fjords.  At that
time she was the only Fjord contact we could find in England.  We got a tour
around her farm and had a nice lunch
while there. Is her place still going?  After we returned from Norway we rented
a car and went south to Brighton and
back.  Where do you live from there Susan?

A lot of talk about ticks now.  The  ticks around here usually  start coming in
January and don't quit until June.
I am hand picking some off the mares when I feed and check them over.  The
horses at home that we are using every
day get checked and picked daily.  We worm with Ivermectin and that will kill
any ticks that are sucking blood but
not the young ticks  looking for a host.  Vigilance and hand picking is what we
have found works  the best.  We used
to put vaseline on the ticks and they couldn't breath  so would die and dry up
and fall off.  That took too long so
back to the hand picking.  One of the good things about our living in Alberta
was the tick free area but our weather
here makes up for the negative.  Keeping the horses out of the bush and grass
does not help keep the ticks off as
most of our horses are in paddocks with no grass and at least a foot of snow
and they are still  covered in ticks.
I believe that the ticks stay on the horse year round and hatch young ones and
that is what we are finding now.
I don't believe that cougars are endangered around here.  They are common
enough and have so little fear of man that
several people have seen cougars bring down deer along side the highway in
broad daylight.  The cougar that we
trapped with the carcass of the second foal was feeding on the first foal in
daylight and my son chased it off with
his motorbike.  We had three cougar spotted on our property that year.  The big
tom that Orville shot as well as a
female with a young one.  The deer and elk are so plentiful around here that
they are a nuisance to the hay farmers
in the area.  We are seeing white tail in the yard now as well as the mule deer
that winter on our alfalfa hay.
Have to keep everything covered or they get into it.  Fish and Game said the
cougar are following the deer down. The
neighbour seen one of  the cougar one evening in the field were the pregnent
mares are.  It didn't run off just
looked at him.
Water starting to run of the hill side now.  Spring is on the way.

Anita Unrau
Anvil's Acres Norwegian Fjord Horses
"Disposition, Conformation, Versatility"