This message is from: "McInvailles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear List,
We run an organic vegetable farm and weeds are a constant battle. The old
adage is: "the best weed control is the farmer's shadow."  We do not use
herbacides, but do rarely use organic (natural derivitives from plants)
instecticides and companion planting/beneficial bugs.   I don't know how
practical it is for under fences, but we put black plastic down in the fall
or early spring.  This could also be placed under fences, but around here
that is alot of black plastic strips!!  You can staple it to the ground with
landscaping staples.  Black plastic is cheaper than the other versions.  You
then add mulch over the plastic (any mulch you don't think the fjords  would
eat...shavings, leaf rakings, straw?).  Some folks can forget the black
palstic and just mulch.  This may decrease how often you need to weed eat.
Finally, torching does work and can add nitrogen back to the soil. (The
blueberry farmers do this each fall to the crop to enhance growth the
following year).

for the fjord experts:
We need to sell our filly (born last May) this year.  I think she is the
"bees-knees" and will be sad to see her go.   How do I decide on a price for
her?  I have other horse friends who think she has good conformation, but
they are not "fjorders."  Any suggestions?
Krissy