This message is from: Misty Meadows B & B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Brian, our foal was deliberately planned to be early this year. We did not
breed this mare last year and so had our choice of when to breed. Decided
to put her under lights in the evenings last December and have an early
foal this year to fit better into our showing season. Most of our fairs and
driving events happen during the later part of August and early September.
This particular mare does very well being separated from her foal for
lessons and trail riding during the summer; however around all those
strange and giant horses at fairs becomes suddenly very maternal. Makes for
very unpredictable driving performance with baby and mom screaming at each
other across the grounds. (yikes!) This year, we will be able to leave a
weaned foal at home. For breed promotion, we generally take a young foal to
the fair as well, but its dam does not have to perform in anything but
halter classes.

And... on this island surrounded by warm currents, winter is gentle. In
fact, winter just isn't. The primulas and cherry trees are already in
bloom, tomorrow I plan on planting my sweet peas, and we're in the middle
of lambing. We have only a light frost about once every ten days now, well
within the tolerance of any foal. Jean, the Canada geese are flying through
this week, on their way back up to you.

Rasken enjoyed a great bucking and leaping session in the round pen today -
odd how many "fjord eating trolls" a confident 2 day old can manage to
locate. Our vet who has been dealing with spindly legged thoroughbred foals
all week just shook his head at his stout little legs and short neck,
laughed at his antics and reminded us to worm him at one month.

Cathy