This message is from: "Margaret Strachan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have been wondering about all the early foals in cold country, or late
depending on whether or not you consider January 1st as a universal
birthday.  I can't understand December foals for that reason.  Here in very
warm, sunny Southern California I can see January foals, and I've had 2
mares under lights since mid December for early foals next year.  Both mares
will be shown and the foals will be almost weaned by the start of show
season.  I also won't have to halter break foals in 103 degree weather.
Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.  It has been between 70-80 degrees daily with
nightime lows 40-50 here.  I know it has been cold up north because the
local snowbird mecca has been swamped.

When we insured Valbjorn the vet had to check fertility.  That "test"
entailed hefting and measurements recorded.   Valbjorn is a docile and quiet
horse; he stood for the indignity without even a halter on his head.  No
calipers though, Dave is a super experienced breeding vet and he just used
his hand.  Funny thing though, he called me about 1/2 hour later and asked
me to check the form--he thought he had erred and written cm instead of mm
as the unit of measurement.  He was right.

Margaret Strachan
Village Farm
Nuevo, CA
http://www.pe.net/~barry/