This message is from: Joanna Crell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,
I appreciated your story of you oh so patient fjord, they are wonderful
aren't they? at least most of the time. I work with children both able and
less every day with our horses and often host a variety of them in 4-H
groups or scouts or waldorf kindergartens.etc
  Always, my volunteer(well trained) to new person ratio is so important,
if there is to tacking and riding it has to be ultra managed, its just
sooooooo easy for something to go wrong and it is so not worth that! I find
myself getting self-concious occasionally even tho I do this 24/7 and am
confident in our whole set-up, I make sure I have a helper who knows all
check over even my work, and repeat ome of whats important to the students.
Next, what I really wanted to say was that the first mounting of anyone
should never be from the ground , foot in the stirrup and up onto the
horse. Mounting and dismounting are the 2 biggest moments of truth,
transition times, of riding. For the horse, that means, he has been free,
then caught, (seperated from the herd often), groomed, which when done by
its knowlegeable owner could possibly key the rider into any one of a
thousand important clues about the immenent activity- and after being
basically bound into tight hopefully well fitting(read safe)gear, this
instinct driven animal must now behave with almost human intuition and
goood manners.  The rider, having not had her or his balance challenged now
needs to commit their body to steadiness, some strength and flexibility;
Ie. leave the ground be aware, breath, readjust and relax.  Thats alot!!!
Riding is just so unique, the preperations you can help with are physical
stretches that that are for the sake of both horse and rider and as much
clear narative a child or student is capable of taking in. We bounce and
lay back on mooring balls( tough vinyl equivalents to therapy balls) and
often introduce the word yogano not yogurt) as we pretend to pull imaginary
ropes and charm imaginary snakes. My husband tells everyone to believe that
they have amovie camera set into their tummy, we call it belly-cam, the
object  is to keep taking clear pictures/ wher you look with you eyes is
where you will go. so on. most imporatantly, in that first session there is
just so much information one can hold, after that its overload. Be very
concious  of where each indivdual is at. Teaching anyone to mount
themselves from the ground is much better left for a later lesson.
ESPECIALLY when the child  has ANY issues whatsoever. I truly believe and
think many would agree that the first seated moment on the horse should
happen quietly, peacefully and with the least possibility of trauma. your
first time only happens once.  To minmize risk, We mount every rider either
from stairs, platform or if things have gone fabulously well, teach the
"leg -up". Always, an extra horse holder/leader is valuable. Mounting from
the ground is very destructive to your horses back and to your saddle. It
takes a long time of doing it to become good at it,  and yes , every rider
should* be able to do it when neccessary.  It is an incredible part of each
person education to  accomplish the begining and end tasks of ttheir
physical activity goal, feels great; when it happens smoothly. Often, the
initial hesitation and lack of coordination leads to mixed signals and
scary takeoffs. A child that is screaming  is in need of having the
situation assessed and  modified. They are in a position of vulnerability
but also can quickly affect all others. The barrel is a great place for
sort of learning about body position, but it all changes with the horse.I
said all this stuff in a long way only because I think in progressions like
that, the short version is , make it easy on yourself and get people on to
sit the horse the easy way. When weight is an issue, it will always be
frightening for at least awhile, the most safe arrangement is really a very
well made ramp/mounting platform, and train your horses to get close and be
comfortable. Blocks work for able and often good riders and can be
disastrous for many folks. There is so much to impart on any rider or
driver,whether they are able or challenged, it all connects somehow.  MY
one desire in life is to see people who want to have a horse experience
have it be wonderful. Fjords are my choice to add to this equation, for all
of the reasons we share in this forum.  I hope that by sharing our good
training techniques we will have successes beyond our wildest dreams and
enjoy  positive growth. Bless their hairy bumskas, fjords are the cutest.
thanks, Joanna
        Joanna Crell - David Folger
Willowind Therapeutic Horseback Riding Center
        Phone & FAX     (207) 288-9506