This message is from: Alison Barr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I was always told that the reason not to shoe in the winter was that
they get really bad snowballs.  I heard (second hand) about a horse that
 god bad enough snowballs that he lay down and wouldn't get up until
they pulled his shoes.
For those thinking of relieving the problem using pads, remember that
the hoof can't breathe, and if you get a lot of melting you could have a
thrush problem when you pull the pads.  Besides, I don't think that a
lot of Fjords need shoes to work.  Fj has never worn them, and will only
start this year, for increased action in dressage.