This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Bridgid:

Take the "arena" stuff out onto the trail. Theres tons of stuff you can do out there: half halts, leg yields, spiraling and other "bending" exercises, walk over, back parallel to logs or fences,if YOU have an imagination,( and I am SURE you do!) there is no end to the exercises you can do out there. Half my ridden life I have spent riding where there was no arena, or the arena that was there was so awful, that I preferred to go out. Besides, it gets your horse thinking and listening with you, not dependant on the rail and barn area/buddies for support all the time. Again, I'm gonna make a shameless plug for Marty Marten's new book out by Western Horseman Pub., 'Problem Solving'. Great book, excellent, safe practical approach and very readable. Most of the work he does is "out" of the arena.

Good luck!
  Karen