This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>-Puppy poop may contain worm eggs that can infect children and cause
>problems.  (The particular worms are more likely found in puppies than
>adult dogs).  Also keep puppies from licking children's faces

Brian,

I would like to add a note about a serious danger from dog (and wolf!) poop
in Alaska, especially certain areas, is the echinococcus tapeworms and
other tapeworms that infect moose and also some rodents and hares.  The
larval and cyst form of these tapeworms use the moose and hares, rodents,
etc. as hosts, while the adult forms infest the wolves and dogs who eat
these animals.   Tapeworm cysts are often found in the muscle meat  and
liver of moose;  People can eat this meat RAW even and not be infested, but
feed it raw to your dog and you could catch the tapeworm from the eggs shed
in the dog's poop!  Then you would be the host to the larval form.  The
Echinococcus tapeworms are especially dangerous as they form sometime very
large Hydatid cysts with multible individual larvae  and it is almost like
a tumor, very dangerous.

I found a web site which explains more about this parasite:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/ahd.htm

To quote some of the information from this website:
*******
What is Alveolar Hydatid disease (AHD)?

AHD (al-VEE-oh-ler HIGH-dad-id) disease results from being infected with
the larval stage of
Echinococcus multilocularis, a microscopic tapeworm (1-4 millimeters) found
in foxes,
coyotes, dogs, and cats. Although human cases are rare, infection in humans
causes parasitic
tumors to form in the liver, and, less commonly, the lungs, brain, and
other organs. If left
untreated, infection with AHD can be fatal.

Where has AHD been found?

AHD is found worldwide, mostly in northern latitudes. Cases have been
reported in central Europe, Russia, China, Central Asia, Japan, and North
America. In North America E. multilocularis is found primarily in the north
central region from eastern Montana to central Ohio, as well as Alaska and
Canada. Human cases have been reported in Alaska, the province of Manitoba,
and Minnesota. Prevalence among wild foxes and coyotes is high, and may reach
over 50% in some areas; however, even in these areas,transmission to humans
has been low.

How does infection occur in foxes, coyotes, dogs, and other cats?

Wild foxes, coyotes, and cats get infected when they eat Echinococcus
multilocularis larvae in infected rodents, field mice, or voles. Cats are
less susceptible than dogs, but because they probably catch and eat rodents
more often, may also become infected. Once the animal becomes infected, the
tapeworm matures in its intestine, lays eggs, and the infected animal
passes eggs inthe stool. These tapeworm eggs, which are directly infectious
to other animals, are too tiny to see, and will stick to anything with
which they come in contact. Coyotes, foxes, dogs, and cats
are not harmed by the tapeworm and do not have symptoms of AHD.

I won't go into any more details, but look up this website if you want to
learn more.  I suspect some of this information may at leaswt deterre you
from letting your dogs lick you in the face

I hope I haven't ruined anybody's dinner!

Jean in Frigid Frosty Fairbanks, Alaska, -25 degrees ( but could be worse,
record low was -58!)
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]