This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Now you've done it Brian!  Contradicted my recently departed veterinarian -
AND destroyed everything I thought I knew about wound treatment. :)

The veterinarian that I had before the current one recommended Wonder Dust
and air exposure for a bad nick on a horse's cannon.  This was after proud
flesh had already established itself and been trimmed away (we were still
learning about proud flesh proneness). I try to learn things by asking my
veterinarian [stopped using this last one because she was unwilling/possibly
afraid to explain her reasonings]- and I thought I'd gotten at least one
thing down correctly from her - "Put Wonder Dust on wounds likely to result
in proud flesh."

I've seen the purple spray too - but figure it is oily and no good for areas
prone to proud flesh.  My current amateur veterinary rule for minor wounds -
from watching the previous vet treat various minor wounds- is to clean and
cover above the knee (if covering is possible) and clean and Wonder Dust
below the knee. Never "purple spray"or anything oily in places prone to
proud flesh.  If you want to "purple spray" in places not subject to proud
flesh - probably won't hurt.    Bad rule of thumb ?

Oh - And one more question.  I have been tempted to use Wonder Dust above
the knee as well - on wounds that could not be covered easily (most places
on a horse's upper body) because *dirt doesn't stick to it.*  Is there any
kind of spray on bandage that will actually stay in place on upper body wounds?

For instance, how many of you have heard that you need to let the air
>get to a wound after it's been bandaged for a while so it can dry out and
>heal?  That is absolutely, 100% wrong.  Almost without exception, wounds
>heal better under a bandage.  A moist environment is better for healing,
>and the bandage helps keep the wound clean, and decreases the amount of
>proud flesh that forms.  Or how about using various ointments, sprays,
>and powders on wounds?  In our area, the local favorites are Wonder Dust
>and some kind of Purple Spray.  If I, as a horse owner in North Carolina,
>called a friend and asked what I should put on a wound, most likely
>that's what I would hear.  Usually the names sound good - especially
>Wonder Dust.  Sounds like it could heal anything, doesn't it?  What the
>wonder really is, though, is that wounds ever heal with that stuff on
>them!  It eats away healing tissue rather than promoting healing.  And
>the purple spray is harsh and makes a big mess!  Most wounds heal best if
>they can be cleaned well and then bandaged either with a very mild
>antiseptic ointment, or nothing at all on the wound.
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Clicker List Web Site : http://clickryder.cjb.net