This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all,

Considering the discussion of the recent driving
accident experienced by a list member reminded me of
something we sometimes tend to forget - especially
when working with a breed of horses that is touted to
be able to "do it all".  We tend to forget that it is
the BREED in general that can do it all, but not
necessarily EVERY horse within the breed can do it
all.  Because of individual temperment, experiences,
etc., not all horses within a breed are suitable for
everything the breed as a whole can do.  Some horses
are just not cut out to be driving horses, no matter
what their breed.  And some horses make very good
driving horses for some people, but not for others.
Some are so easy going that anyone can drive them,
almost anywhere, with no problems.  However, some
horses have more "zip" than the others - more energy,
more awareness and sensitivity to what is going on
around them - and require a very experienced driver at
all times.  Lots of horses fit into the middle of this
range and are dependable MOST of the time, but they
are STILL horses and will act up occasionally.  The
trick here is to know the horse well and be able to
anticipate what will "set him off".  We ground drive
all of our young stock, but have only actually had
three driving horses since we began with horses again.
 Two were Fjord mares with driving experience when we
bought them, and one was a Nappy gelding that must
have had some experience somewhere - although no one
would admit it - since he "took to" driving like a
"duck to water".  We drove him to an antique cart,
hauled wood with him, drove him in weight pulls -
anything you might do with a "big" horse.  He was only
12 hands and around 750 pounds, but he was definitely
NOT a pony in his mind!  Everyone drove him - even the
kids.  He was the best horse/pony we ever had on the
place - sorry guys!  He was the "exception to the
rule" - as I've certainly not seen any other
Appaloosas or POAs that I would trust the way we
trusted him.

Anyway, we certainly do need to remember that not all
Fjords have the temperment to be driving horses for
all people.  A beginner certainly needs an experienced
horse - or at least a calm horse well-trained in other
areas, plus an experienced driving instructor/trainer
- to be assured of some measure of safety.  Some
horses will never be safe in the hands of a beginner -
it's just a fact.  Sad, especially when it turns out
to be your own beloved horse, but sometimes true.
Then the choice has to be made - either go with what
your horse is suited for, or get a different horse.
Requires a lot of thinking.

I would love to still be driving a Fjord, but the area
we live in has grown too much to allow for enjoyable
driving any more, plus our place is too small to have
room for adequate training, so I now ride my Fjord.
Maybe someday that will change, but for now the
harness is hung up and the lines are idle in favor of
a good saddle and some enjoyable trail riding in the
local public forests.

Take care all.

Mary

=====