This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Amy,
I will try to dig a pattern out of an ancient Driving West issue I think I still have floating around. My mom ia a dandy seamstress and shes made 3 from this pattern.

For warmth/durability/aesthetics AND tradition, I strongly urge you to use a wool fabric. The worsted wools & "pant" weight gabardines are really neat. Take what you have as far as matching colours goes with you to the fabric store, and head for the remenant section first - you can find some really neato stuff in there and its not gonna break the bank. ( I have access to a cool mill end fabric store here in my town, and it's a goldmine!) Another good thing about the lighter wools is that you can do a pattern ( like houndstooth plaid) on one side, and a solid colour on the other side,(making sure the colours have something in common), really pushing the envelope of apron umph!

The pattern I have is adjustable, and it has a little button and loop that you sit on, to keep your lap robe/apron neatly around your legs. You can either make ties, or I like to fake it and use velcro, for overlapping tabs that are behind.

If you really want to "do it up" embroider your initials or ranch brand in the lower ( R or L ???) hand corner of the lap robe.( Think mine is on the right...)

Anyway, I'll start searching...

Karen