This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Bushnell's <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Bushnell's"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> We appreciated your posting about Rusten, Jennie.

I agree with Ruthie and Jennie.  When we first bought
Line and brought her down from Canada we were hard
pressed to find a good stallion to breed her to.
There were only two - or three, if you count a young
stallion of questionable ancestry that a young man up
on the Penninsula north of us was trying his best to
get us to breed to or buy - in our "area".  "In our
area" is stretching things a bit, as there was only
one stallion 50 miles away and then there was Rusten,
about a ten or twelve hour drive away(depending on
road conditions). After looking at our prospects it
was very obvious that Rusten would be the "stallion of
choice".  We were never sorry for our choice, and
continued to breed Line to Rusten until she was too
old for foaling.  Rusten and Chip sort of came as a
"pair", for which we were extremely grateful!  We knew
nothing about Fjords, plus we were in an out of the
way location.  Chip was nice enough to come and pick
up our mares for breeding - he even brough Rusten out
here one spring when there were a few other mares
scattered around a couple of counties for Rusten to be
bred to.  We have even been known to meet in the
parking lot of the truck stop in Ellensburg and
transfer mares from one trailer to the other for the
trip "home" or "out" - depending on which ones were
coming or going!  Believe me, that is a busy place
with BIG rigs coming and going (very noisey).  The
truckers were always a little amused - and amazed -
that the horses calmly went from one trailer to the
other amidst all the noise and confusion.

We have found Rusten's foals to be just what we
wanted.  Line is a little light in the rear end and
too straight in the hocks.  Rusten is very correct in
those areas, plus has more wither than she has.  The
foals seemed to inherit the "best of both".  Plus,
because both parents have good heads, we never had a
problem with what we call "Belgian heads".  Rusten's
kind, willing, friendly attitude came through with his
foals - plus his energy, in some cases!  I now own a
four-year-old gelding that is a grandson of Rusten.
He is the "spitting image" of Rusten - right down to
the wavy forelock, huge wavy tail, and tendency to
"circle" his pen (or stall).  This gelding is very
friendly - would never think of nipping or hurting us,
but he is "mouthy" and loves to lick hands(which comes
from Line, I guess).

This is one farm that is deeply indebted to both
Rusten and Chip for the well-built, good-minded horses
we have produced/still own.  Rusten is one of those
stallions who consistently produces "good" - and may I
add "useful" - offspring.  Remember: A pretty horse is
no good if it's personality renders it useless.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms