This message is from: "Nathan Lapp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This stallion discussion has been immensely interesting. Being only a year
and a half into the Fjord world, many names were new. But when Peg asked to
hear from owners of Erlend offspring, that rang a bell! My sister Hannah
owns Onalee, a 4-year-old mare by Erlend, and I asked her to give a few
words on her. She says, "Onalee is nice-looking, 14.2 hands, deep heart
girth and good bone but not stocky. Nice high withers for a Fjord. Kind, but
has untiring get-up-and-go. She's a good trail horse--wish someone with more
time than myself could enter her into long-distance competition. Otherwise,
she cultivates the garden, gives children rides, takes the boys to the far
fields to check their traps, and rounds up cows now and then. All this from
a horse I trained by myself for the first time."

I will add to Hannah's comments the story of Onalee, last year at age 3,
giving my 12-year-old nephew Jacob a bareback, unbridled ride in from
pasture. She had never been ridden before, and Jacob had mounted her by
mistake, in the dark, thinking she was 12-year-old Viola. When he got into
the barn and saw the mistake he said, "I didn't know why she was looking
back at me like that when I was getting on."

Onalee also did a 17-mile competetive trail ride with Hannah this September,
and earned some respectable awards.

Since Hannah and I are full-time farmers we don't expect to be able to do
much with Onalee in the show ring. But we think she is a perfectly conformed
Fjord, and are eagerly awaiting a Northeast evaluation.

We also had the pleasure of owning, for only three months, a son of Erlend
born to our mare, Viola. He is now living it up at Old Hickory Farm, where
Julia Will is raising him as a prospective stallion.

I just got out Onalee's pedigree and am amazed to see such distinguished
names as Baldur, Dragtind, and King Harald. The latter actually appears
twice--as a great-great grandsire, and a great-great-great grandsire.

And Viola's pedigree is equally exciting! Grabb appears twice, as both third
and fourth sire. (did they do more inbreeding in those days?) Her dam is
Bella, out of Viola N-13079. I wonder if that is the Elite mare Viola who is
Hostar's dam?

Viola was imported from Norway by Phil Prichard, and evaluated in New York
as a five-year-old in 1991. She received 2nd premium. Evaluator comments
were: "harmony in body, moves close in back, good bones."  I do not know
evaluator language well enough to tell if "moves close in back" is a fault.

And, may I add, Viola has the honor of carrying the first United States
conceived foal of Flotren, newly imported by Julia Will. We just had her
sonogramed and the foal is due Sept. 2000.

Barbara Lyn Lapp
Lapp Family Fjords