This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear List, I have enjoyed all the info on the Breeding and stallion
thread..Brian J. your article on Colic in the Herald had some interesting
info in it! Nice of you to put out an invitation Brian,In response I thought
I would add some info on Mink Hollow's Prestatie Stallion Hostar.  I have had
many clients call our farm, a "Best Kept Secret", I don't think enough people
know about Hostar's Breeding as we mostly compete in All Breed functions up
and down the East Coast. He is an A premium Stallion imported from Holland as
a foal.  His father is the Stallion Brusvein, Preferente Hengst-Keurhengst,
1-ste Premie.  An interesting story to the best of my knowledge, Brusvein was
sold to Holland while in process of being named Champion of Norway, so the
Dutch were thrilled to get him.  He is still a foundation Stallion breeding
now.  Hostar's Dam is Viola one of only ,  I think 13 Elite mares in Holland.
We met her at age 22? last year on a buying trip to Holland she looks great
and is very dark Brown Dun with a strong body like Hostar.  She had a foal I
would love to have purchased but she is keeping her to replace Viola.  Hostar
has the highest score possible in conformation in the Dutch System , "AA" in
Riding, "A" in driving and "A" in Draft.  This makes him a Prestatie.Hengst,
the highest performance rating in the Dutch System.  Only 2 Stallions in
North America hold this designation as far as I know.  He is approved to
breed in Norway, Holland, Canada and the US.  He was imported by Pat Wolfe,
who competed him alot, and then Joe and Meg Hempel who really loved him but
did get out of the breeding business.  The interesting thing is that all 3 of
his owners competed their horses alot and tended, to my knowledge, to breed
on the farm and not accept to many outside breedings.  Therefore I believe
this is a line that should be bred more in this country.  His foals that have
been shown are doing very well, lots of 1st and 2nd place.  They are in
different parts of the US and Canada so it was hard in the past for people to
see them in one area.  We have put collected some photos and put on our web
page for people to see them.  They tend to be very athletic, nice bone and
length of leg, high neck set and handsome heads.  The Movement is really my
favorite part, being a driver.  He has many Competition wins, Overall Halter
Champion-Woodstock, Winner of NFHR Versatility Award, Rolf Trophy, and Baldur
Trophy, NFHA year end Stallion award and year end Competitive Distance Award.
 We have done well in Sleighing and Combined Driving also.  He is 12 years
old and his color is striking.  I guess you can tell how much we love him!
He has not been evaluated yet in the American System, but he was chosen best
overall Halter Champ at Woodstock by Wayne Hipsley one of the NFHR
Evaluators, We have also had mare owners refered to us by evaluation judges,
as a good Stallion to improve the mare.  Brian, One of his foals is out of a
Grabb Daughter and the movement is very Floaty and forward, I am crazy about
it, thought you would like to know.  The great thing about America is we are
not locked into the Norwegian and Dutch Governments. We believe in breeding
super mares, whether Dutch, Norwegian, or American Bred.  All the Systems
have good animals! Well, enough for now, and Carol Fellers, Angela did a
great job riding him this summer, I think she really enjoyed him.

Laura of Mink Hollow