This message is from: Pat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   Gayle, Your last post hit the nail on the head. I've always wanted to tell
this story, which sums up what I believe to be a true breeder:
            Without mentioning names, I was working for this breeder, he had
been
around since the early 30's and actually had something to do with the
organization of AQHA in 1940, anyway they had 87 broodmares and 6 stallions, one
old stallion died and they were wanting a replacement. A two year old was
selected and started riding and campaigning him. He was really something to see,
he was high point RMQHA Jr western pleasure horse as a 3 yr old. Won a couple
big
futurities and even National Western Stock Show, against some big names that
year. I got his Superior pleasure in no time and he always placed in
conformation
with a few Reserves. One problem, a bit of a dispositon problem, and really
nothing exceptionally bad, but enough that he was gelded midway through his 2nd
show season, and eventually became a great youth gelding. You might think with
87
broodmares, this wasn't a big deal because they then had many others to choose
from, but that wasn't the case. They were VERY selective in what was kept. Mares
as well as colts. The other stallions were kept in the main show barn, all were
AQHA Champions, were handled like the other 30 some in the barn, had turnout
lots
with in the main group. Everyone handled the guys, lead in and out everyday, all
except one was hand bred. I don't know, I just think that was a good sign of a
good breeder, if everything's not there, geld it. I firmly believe there are
alot
of horses out there that would make for a better meal that a mount.
Pat Holland