This message is from: Sam & Sue Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

     I have also used a Butterfly cheek Glory bit on Freya (Solar x
Zigina) for riding and driving, and she does better in that bit than a
snaffle. Freya has a very thick tongue, when you part her lips, all you
see is tongue. For my horse, the Glory bit still squished her tongue
over the bars.
     I attended a Myler's bit clinic at a dressage barn and talked with
Dale Myler about this problem, and showed him the Glory bit as well as a
Sprenger driving bit. At the two day clinic, I borrowed several styles
to try on Freya at home that Myler had suggested, and returned the next
day. The best suggestion was the number 36 mouthpiece, forward tilt
ported barrel, and since you can choose what style cheeks you get when
custom ordering, I got Kimberwick cheeks with extra width to fit my
driving bridle and to use a leather curb strap so that it would be
suitable for driving and riding, but this mouthpiece is not dressage
legal.
     I have used it about 6 weeks and it has been great for Freya. The
barrel in the center of the port allows each rein to work independently
like a snaffle, but the barrel prevents the mouthpiece from collapsing
and pinching the tongue like a broken snaffle. According to Myler, this
bit gives a lot of tongue relief but if the horse raises its head, it
will put downward pressure on the bars encouraging the horse to return
its head to the proper position. Myler explained that they want the bits
to reward the horses without the rider having to be "active" in the
process. They recommend you ride with your hands and reins in the proper
position, and keep them quiet and still during the process of the horse
figuring out where the comfort zone is for the bit.
     The Myler bits are expensive if getting a custom made bit although
some styles are available in stock with Toklat dealers. We have two tack
shops here that allow you to try stock styles. Of course, Fjords need
bigger mouths, you might have to custom order your bit in some styles
like me. The dealers around here are knowledgeable in helping you choose
a style mouthpiece, but you can also talk to the Mylers directly to get
help.
     I drove Freya recently at a fun day CDE style event, and I had
several people ask about her bit because it looked "handsome", and one
person commented that Freya looked very relaxed. She was TOO relaxed,
but when the small pony four in hand turned and came towards her, she
didn't flinch, just looked at them like "how rude!" Overall, Freya came
in second for the day, I think.

Collars - Thanks for tips on how to measure. I'd also like to hear more
about using collars. The dressage judge at my fun day said Freya looked
"restricted" in her movement. I know Freya has chiropractic problems
with her neck-withers area, and was wondering if a collar instead of a
breast collar would be easier on her.

Sue Banks
Mattaponi, Virginia