This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Cynthia_Madden/OAA/UNO/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I recommend looking into Linda Tellington-Jones methods of ground >training. We have used it quite successfully with Tank who was not >halter broken when we bought him. The wand is very good for teaching >a Fjord to mind his pace and your space.

Cynthia, I really think this is one of the best ways to halter break ANYTHING, especially a fjord !!! One reason it works so well, is that they learn without pressure and resistance, which as all of you know all too well, is the 'fjord thing' they seem to base their existance on! They really lock - on to the wand, (butt end of the dressage whip), and eventually transfer their attention to your body movement and voice commands.

Someone mentioned the teeter-totter awhile back. I combine this, as well as walk over logs, plastic tarps, (essentially anything SAFE that a horse can be around, but that is not in his usual context of day-to-day stuff),along with the LTJ "wand" style of training. I start them right after they are weaned. Two years in a row now, my weanling fillies have won the 2 and under leadline trail class at Turlock.

Right now,I have 5 "weaners" in my care: 3 fjords,1 Mongolian/Hucol cross colt and a arab filly.(Only one of the fjords is mine.)My friend , and ancient& wise cowboy that he is, Bruce, is helping me out allot with these guys. He's introduced rope training as well, gently roping each foot,neck or mid-section and taking and releasing it. Boy, are they easier to trim now! Another thing he does, is rope an object and draw it towards the colt or filly. He does this very quietly and slowly until they learn to watch it come up to them. We figure we may have a good rope horse one day...

I have also used the LTJ method to re-school spoiled horses, and with some of these guys,the stud chain IS put on the halter, and the butt-end of the dressage whip DOES come into play, until they learn that not running over you is the RIGHT thing to do.

Happy fjording, Karen