This message is from: "SUSAN L GIARGIARI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello List!

Just a quick note, promise!  You can get a butterfly bit from Smuckers in PA
for only $37 plus shipping! Really! I got 5 of them for our 3 and 4 abreast
that we do when we do our haying or wagon rides. We have tried to use
snaffle bits but they pull sideways out of their mouths, without much
pressure on the reins and the mares always have their mouths going. When we
were driving them with a liverpool driving bit, they were quiet in the
mouth. Only problem is the head rubbing and the "checking out my neighbor
syndrome", even thought they have been in the pasture together for the last
7 years!!
The shank on the liverpool would catch on some inevitable part of the
other's bridle, rein, harness or whatever. I know you can use some kind of a
"stick" between the horses heads, but I don't like them. The butterfly bits
have large rounded rings in a row, so anything it catches on usually will
slide right off.  The ones I got had 3 rounded rings together on the side.
Now remember, these are not the skinny rings in a row found on the liverpool
pool bits. Some liverpool bits have a rectangle shank with oblong slots,
some have rounded thin ovals in a row.    The 3rd ring was cut off by Dick,
welder by trade, and filed down. He had cut of the bottoms of some of the
liverpools , but sometimes you need to drop down a hole to get the extra
leverage? or just confidence , depending on the situation you are in.  Oh
Well! So much for a quick note!   Hope this helps!   Sue G.