This message is from: Nancy Hotovy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello to all -

Have really enjoyed all the stories about camping and trail riding with
Fjords.  We have just returned from Brown County, Indiana where Rich and
I, along with Mike and Susie Sadlon took our horses and camped and went
trail riding for 4 days.  The weather was great, the horses were great,
the people were great and then my vacation ended.  Story of my life!  I
am a little concerned however, we received a lot of "What breed of horse
is that?".  Felt like I went back 10 years.  At least here in Michigan
people seem to know what a Fjord is even if they have never seen one in
person.  I think more Fjords are needed in Southern Indiana.

There was over 70 miles of trails and our first day out we rode 25 - 30
miles.  Big mistake when taking 3 people who primarily drive.  2nd day,
I rode by myself, then we all went on a night ride.  Was gorgeous out
and we didn't even get lost.

Brian, thanks for naming us on your list of drivers.  Even though trail
riding is my favorite, I can't imagine giving up driving.  Was kind of
like a fever - - just wanted to drive a horse in a cart - - then a team
- - then a tandem - - then a unicorn - - then a 4 up hitch. Rich is the
one who does the plowing, pulling and logging.  Talk about your
all-purpose horse!   I agree with Vivian and Laura - always keep a whip
in hand.  I do a lot of driving on roads and even if you only need it
once in your life, if it isn't in your hand - - you're in trouble.

Someone asked about testing for Potomac Horse Fever.  The University of
Illinois performs a Potomac Horse Fever test.  In the clinic I work for,
we seem to see a lot of it some years and not so much in others.  Have
only had one or two cases this fall.  A few years ago we had quite a few
cases (it seems to hit here during the months of August & September).
We had horses that had been vaccinated come down with PHF but they did
recover.  A few of the unvaccinated ones died - seems to me they didn't
receive prompt treatment either.

Linda - sounds like you and Sven are really a pair.  I agree with Gayle,
the horses seem to like vacations also.

A Happy Fall to Everyone

Nancy from southern Michigan where the weather is perfect!