This message is from: Corinne Bodeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi.

I've been out of town for nearly a week and am now catching up on all my
reading.  I have a 29 year old quarter horse gelding that has been
diagnosed with cushings.  It's a struggle but its manageable.

The vet did an insulin and thyroid test.  Shiloh's insulin hit 121
(10-30 is normal, I believe).  Also, like the other writers have
suggested, the thyroid becomes involved.  Unlike the typical symptoms of
curly, long coat, my horse had only lethargy and profusive sweating and
excessive drinking as symptoms.  I ignored them as it was a very warm
spring and he is a very old horse.  It wasn't until his feet went bad
that "all hell broke loose".  He absessed so severely in his right rear
we almost had to put him down.  It is now October 10 and he can finally
walk normally.

He was put on Thyroid X (I think) and Cyproheptadine.  Since he's so
old, and his teeth are going, we have him on all Equine Sr. with hay
when and if he can eat it.  Well, in conversation with the vet (after
the insulin still wouldn't drop) we decided to reduce the Equine Sr. as
we felt there was a pretty good case of insulin resistance.  It seems to
be working.  Like I said, this is the first week he has acted and felt
like the guy I've known and loved.

So be patient with Cushings...and be willing to experiment.  The vet
said that the thyroid meds were to be in conjunction with the cypro to
assist it in reducing the insulin and regulating the adrenal glands.
Keep a close eye on the feet.  But with good care and monitoring, I'm
told they can live a productive life with the disease.  Good luck.

Cori Bodeman
(a hopefully soon to be fjord owner too)