This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Regarding the use of blankets on Fjords:  We live on
the extreme West coast of Washington state.  Very wet
country in the winter, although we do get the
occasional "Alaska Express" with blizzard conditions
and temps below zero.  Although our weather is
considered "mild" it is extremely wet - which, when
combined with the winds we usually have, can really
chill a horse that is already wet to the skin.  We put
our horses in the barn at night on a regular basis to
force them to dry out.  They prefer to be outside
checking out all the smells on the wind - except for
Line who grew up in Norway and HATES to be wet!  Ever
see a Fjord pout?  Ears back, lips buttoned up, whole
body saying "I'm NOT happy"!!  She spends most of her
winter standing at the door to the stall looking out,
except when it snows.  That definitely lights a fire
under the old gal!!

Last year we bought the first two "real" horse
blankets we've ever owned (we have kept a lightweight
horse sheet around for the occasional sick horse).
They are canvas duck blankets meant for turning horses
out in wet weather - no lining or quilting in them,
just canvas duck.  We use them mainly to keep the
horses we ride somewhat clean - and to keep them clean
at the Libby show.  They work well, but get kind of
dingy looking because you cannot wash them.  You just
brush them off and blast them with the hose once in a
while.  I have considered blanketing Line some winter
just to see if it cuts down on the thickness of her
coat.  She grows a REALLY furry coat, then sheds from
Mid-December until the end of May!!  Thought I might
try putting that lightweight sheet on her early in the
year to keep the hair down a bit.  Maybe some year.
This winter is predicted to be a bad one, so everyone
is growing "natural" protection.

We find blankets on Fjords in this damp country to be
a mixed blessing.  Fjords are "warm" horses - even in
their summer coats - so they tend to sweat under a
blanket, which can cause more problems than it solves.
 If they are where there is a draft they can be
chilled, which isn't good.  If their coat is not
allowed to dry out - which can happen in the winter
when they aren't being used (so their blanket is not
removed regularly) - they can still develop a fungus
infection which causes the hair to fall out.  Our vet
has always said that "natural is better" for these
guys.  We feed grass hay, which produces a lot of body
heat as it is digested, so maybe ours are extra
"warm".  Who knows.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman