This message is from: Misty Meadows B & B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I've given my information from the BC Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and
Food to a friend who is just constructing  ring right now, so don't have all
the details in front of me, but we are being highly discouraged from using hog
fuel in the horse industry. Here in the Pacific Northwest, it is the cheapest
way to build a ring,
with sand being far more expensive, but it is an environmental nightmare
because it breaks down and in all the rain produces a toxic leachate that is
very acidic and gets into groundwater and salmon streams.

Misty Meadows has a salmon spawning stream running through it and the meadows
become floodplain in the winter. When we set up our paddock area, we had an
advisor from the Ministry who works for their horse industry program come and
help us set up an environmentally sound place.She told us that the industry had
about three years to
voluntarily clean up its act before restrictions went unto place. The main ones
are covered manure piles from October to April and no woodwaste or hog fuel
runoff. It seems that hog fuel will become unacceptable soon so I just wouldn't
consider using it.

Most of the rings here on Vancouver Island are constructed from it and it makes
riding hard through the winter. As it breaks down after only a couple of years,
it gets soft spots in the rain, and is quite slippery if it ever freezes. We
can generally use all outdoor sand rings for training except for a couple of
weeks in February,
but folks with hog fuel rings find themselves without a ring for about three
months and saving money for indoor arenas.

Cathy Koshman
Misty Meadows B&B and Fjords
Victoria, BC, Canada