This message is from: John and Martie Bolinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Julie,
    re: head up and poll flexed - our horse carries his head 'low' but still
flexes nicely at the poll.  By low, I mean his nose is about level with or just
above knee level.  I use a side check when driving around the pasture just so
he doesn't get the idea to graze on the fly.  I have seen both types but
sometimes the up-headed horses also have their nose poked way out front and
just look like someone pulled their head up straight but forgot to bend it.
It looks like they are fighting the bit.   It also looks uncomfortable and
un-natural.  But so does the nose to the ground hound-sniffing quarter horse
look.
    I think it is always hard to re-set a horse's natural head carriage, even
though we usually try.  I have an Arab I wanted to show western but he had a
marvelous up-headed carriage that would be perfect for saddle seat or
pleasure.  He never changed.  We never showed western.  Too much discomfort for
both of us.

Just my views,
Martie