This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 9/27/99 6:05:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< during windy seasons, we hang flags, pennets,
 even plastic trash bags on one side of the turn-out arena.  The QH/Paints
will shy, buck, and roll their eyes
 while escaping to the clear side of the arean.  Only very gradually do they
begin to accept these "boogers"  But
 I found I must remove the flags before turning the Weegies out.  They
immediately take them down to play tug-
 of-war. >>

Hi Larson-

Your story really rang a bell with me : )

When we first moved to our current ranch, Tommes & Rafael had a whole slew of
new things to get used to. Farm attendants on ATV's, LOTS of dogs (the ranch
owners breed German Shorthair Pointers), an electric insect zapper which
makes a sudden noise, you name it. One side of the arena is lined with little
trees, whose leaves flutter towards you and make noise in the wind. At first
they shied, so each time around we slowly rode closer and closer to the rail.
Well, you should have seen the look on Tommes' face when we did the final
test, stopping and facing the scary trees. He stretched out those big lips
and munched a few leaves, first tentatively, then with gusto. He seemed to
say, "Hey, ya didn't tell me the monster was EDIBLE."

I also have to keep plastic bags away, not because they are afraid, but
because they think they are toys! You should see big Rafael waving a white
plastic bag like a flag, look of glee on his face : )

Brigid

  • Amy Larson
    • Re: Amy Epona1971