This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subj:    another lurker introduced
Date:   99-09-27 00:23:20 EDT
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ann Hatfield)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lisa, could you see if you can send this for me, I guess I don not know what
the correct address is for the group-at any rate I cannot send it.  Thanks in
advance.  Ann H

Lisa pederson kindly told me about this digest and I have been lurking for
months.  Fnally decided to introduce myself again.  I tried once before but
must have fouled up the sending of it and then decided discretion was the
better part of valor, and all that, and went back to lurking.

The reason I have been nervous about doing more than lurking is that I not
only have a purebred Fjord mare but have a cross.  Had three, actually until
I had to sell the yearling and two year old this summer.  (Sigh). I
understand that crosses are not looked upon with much favour in the Fjord
world.  I am in general agreement with keeping breeds pure, but I also like
cross-breds. I've owned and  ridden purebred and cross-bred Arabs, and still
do, and would not like to see Arabs in general diluted out of existance,
either, but really like the crosses.  Ambivilent, huh?  So easy on the
flames, please.

I own Elka, one of Trinity Fjords good mares; they sell horses in the States
frequently and are probably better known down there than in Canada.  I also
own aFjord/Belgian cross who was one of the many PMU foals destined to go to
a slaughterhouse death.  The elderly gentleman from whom I bought the team
makes runs to Alberta every few years and brings back these little fellows
and raises nice driving teams from them.  Freya is one of his finds.

The mares were first on extended maternity leave and then I was too busy to
do much with them, showing and a bit of endurance racing with the Arabs,
teaching the babies all there baby-manners, as well as working a 50-55 hour
week and trying to be a good mom and wife and keep the garden under control
and the summer guests full of hamburgers and corn on the cob-you know how it
can be....

....but, with the babies gone and a plan in mind the mares are going to
work-literally.  But first back to school for them.  The team has done some
serious agricultural work for Walter (former owner) and occasionally moved
logs, brush  and building supplies for me but now I'm starting them under
saddle as well.  Fjords are so, so easy to work with!  I've ridden for over
thirty years and these fellows are like being a kid on a pony again, just
plain lighthearted fun.  I wouldn't dream of taking the same liberties
starting a 'regular' riding horse that I do with the girls.

Today for instance.  Now Freya has been ridden about 3 times ever, all last
year, and lead-lined a child or two. Elka has been ridden twice on the road
last yearm with my husband walking with us, once or twice in our field before
that and had a kid or two tossed up on her for a lead-line ride.  Oh, yes,
and once this spring when I suddenly decided to go for a trot round our
foresty roads with her bare back and she was full of beans and bucked on the
downhill and launched me off onto my shoulder for a partial dislocation.  (
Yes, yes, I knew better-green, green horse in the spring-I was just being as
silly as she was.)  But here, under the influence of warm autumn sunshine,
were my experienced rider-friend, Sandra, and I taking liberties with 'early
training' again.

Found one of the wide-bar Western saddles that actually fit Elka and just
saddled her up and led her around for about 3 minutes.  I got a leg up onto
Freya, bareback because she is too fat for any saddle at the moment!  We
tried Sandra's weight in the saddle on Elka, fine, and on Sandra went.  Not
an eye batted.  Freya even remembered leg aids from her few rides last year,
for goodness sake!  Elka thought about bucking when she wanted to head back
across the pasture to the whinnying Arabs but never did any more than look
pained and shake her head.

We then practised circles and half-halts and halts and crossing mud and
marshy bits and then rode down to the river (we have a half mile of big,
wild-country  river running through the place.)  We waded up and down the
channels among the islands in the river and the mares splashed and blew
bubbles in the low, golden sunshine.  Then up to the outlook point high above
the river through shady roads with views of the valley and the bald-headed
eagles that are here for the salmon run.  After the view,  through the bush
trails and over logs, for practice, and back down the steep hills and round
by the lower pasture and across the creek and home.  Took about three hours.
The only time they were at all difficult was a spook, in concert, when a huge
salmon splashed right beside us as we rode on the lower pasture  (well, its
really the camping area, volleyball field and croquet pitch, not a pasture.)

No, I won't make the mistake of really treating them like
just-add-water-trained horses, I will put a proper set of basics on them and
we won't be off to any autumn parades in the next weekends, but no wonder it
happens with Fjords.  These two acted like seasoned trail horses.  Sandra,
who hasn't driven much, was just charmed to find that the mares respond to
voice commands and that one could literally ask them to do things as one
rides.  "Easy girl, and gee." and around the tree on the correct side Sandra
and Freya would go, Sandra grinning from ear to ear.

Sorry for going on for so long but what a heady pleasure; the day as truly
warm and gold as all one's memories of childhood riding, and the two blond
mares splashing and snorting in the river and the sound of hooves on fallen
leaves.  Ann Hatfield