This message is from: "Teressa Kandianis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My vet told me to keep an eye on a spot on Merit's flank that could possibly
be melanoma.  I'm not sure what I'm watching for now as I was looking for
the trouble signs of melanoma for humans.  Anyone who turns up more info on
this topic, please post to the list for those of us who are novices in the
horse world.

BTW, the notebook the Jensen's recommended with evaluations and ownership
manual is of great interest to me - but not for the evaluations, for the
ownership manual.  I'm wondering how much this feature would attract sales
by people who are not only not in the NFHR but not owning fjords at all yet.
I would have bought one when I was learning about the breed before buying.
A $25 investment before plunking down considerably more for a horse makes
good sense.  I bought the Rivoire's handbook and read it cover to cover and
it was extremely helpful...but clearly was written in a highly opinionated
way.  And having "met" Carol through the list, I realize that is her
personality.  At the time, though, the recommendations for certain types of
feeding, stalling, barn building etc were so strongly made that I felt this
was the only way it could be done.  I would have loved to have another
reference so I could screen out what turns out to be great recommendations
for certain areas but that don't necessarily apply everywhere.  I chuckled
when someone on the list was baffled about the availability of beet pulp.  I
checked with many feed stores in our area and was met with mostly blank
looks so I know precisely how she felt.  The highest recommended food for
the horses I yearned for wasn't available here and I wondered how expensive
it would be to ship it in!?  Yes, I realize how completely stupid that
sounds but I am a novice horse owner who wanted to provide my kids with a
good upbringing.  Given the rep (and the reality) of fjord horses for
temperament and personality, I would guess that a fair proportion of adult
novice horse owners end up with fjords.  I wouldn't be surprised if you sold
a few of these books to potential fjord owners at the various shows where
fjords perform.

Believe it or not, I also have an opinion on the evaluations.  It seems to
me that evaluating a horse only on looks makes an evaluation into a "beauty"
contest.  Sort of the dumb blonde thing or the Mr. Universe thing.  They
have to be also evaluated on personality and intelligence - which I suppose
would be the temperament and performance  - and is every bit as important as
looks.

Finally, this is a warning, my off list question.  With many listers also
apparently dog breeders, I'd appreciate any URL or other directions in which
to look for appropriate food for dogs prone to bladder stones.  My latest
rescued Min. schnauzer just had a bladder stone made of struvite removed
that was the size of a tennis ball and the main ingredient in the
prescription food recommended by my vet is corn.  I need to know what the
difference is in the food for dogs with this tendency and normal foods.
Since not many suppliers make a Rx food, maybe I can find one that isn't but
that is appropriate for all four of my schnoozers.

Sorry to be so long winded.  Teressa in sunny, beautiful Ferndale, WA just
about to celebrate our first year with Nina and Merit.