This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur  Rivoire)

Goodday Everybody, from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm -

I was  glad to see Brian's statement on the Evaluation Committee's dealings
with the BOD, as I had no idea what was happening.

NFHR BOARD OPERATING IN A VACUUM -

 --  In my opinion, the most important thing Brian said was that the BOD
should not be OPERATING IN A VACUUM.  He's right!  That's exactly what
they've done, which is why the rest of us are  confused.

NFHR members have the right to know EVERYTHING the Board does.  Complete
minutes should be posted on the NFHR site IMMEDIATELY after each Conference
Call.  And these minutes should be complete enough so that  members can
understand and get a feeling of what transpired.
For the life of me, I can't think of a single reason why this should not be
so.

TAPED RECORD OF NFHR CONFERENCE CALLS -

 Further, I think a tape recording should be made of each conference call,
and  should be available to every member requesting it. This would be much
more complete, valuable, and timely than the bare bones minutes we now get
in the Herald -- MONTHS AFTER THE FACT.

  If the American public got to see and hear each and every detail of the
O.J. case and the Clinton hearings . . . shouldn't we have the right to
know EVERYTHING THAT'S DISCUSSED on these conference calls?
The answer is, of course we have the right, and we also have the need to
know.

COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THE BOD AND COMMITTEES (EVALUATION & OTHERS)

I really find this lack of communication incredible.  I mean, you'd think
each side was dealing with a foreign governement.  HOW CAN THEY NOT
COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER?  Sorry, for the caps, but I can't shout or
highlght on email.  I really dont' get it.  What kind of an organization is
this?

It's a horse registry.  OUR REGISTRY!   Compared to many other breed
registries, we're miniscule.  Most of us know each other.  What's the
problem?  Why don't these people get on the phone or email, and talk to
each other?

What are members to think when we hear that the BOD has been waiting to
hear from the Evaluation Committee, and the EC has been waiting to hear
from the BOD, and both have been waiting for months and months and months?
The only virtue I can see in this situation, is that both sides have an
abundance of patience.

IMPORTANCE OF PERFORMANCE TESTING IN EVALUATIONS -

It's been stated that the reasons the EC decided against using European
Evaluators, even to get us started on the road to routine Evaluations, is
that they wished to maintain American standards for the performance tests
in Dressage, Western, Draft & Driving.

I may be wrong, but it came across to me that PERFORMANCE TESTING WAS THE
MOST IMPORTANT aspect of American Evaluations.  If this is so, then I object.

CONFORMATION COMES FIRST & EVALUATIONS SHOULD START WITH YOUNG HORSES!

The purpose of Evaluations is to identify good breeding stock.  It gives
specific feedback in terms of strengths and weaknesses indicating how you
can breed to improve your herd, or if you're a backyard breeder with only
one foal, how you can get a better foal next time around.

THE PERFORMANCE TESTS -

I'm only familiar with the Dutch system, but in that, the horse is judged
on - GAITS, SUPPLENESS, WILLINGNESS, ATTITUDE, SELF CARRIAGE.  (If his 20
meter circle is 25 meters, and less than round, he will not lose points.)
Within reason,the horse is judged, not the rider/driver.

*  MY POINT IS -

 That Evaluations are not the place to demonstrate great proficiency in
the various disciplines.  As I understand Evaluations, they are the place
to determine if individual breeders, be they backyard or professional, are
going in the right direction.  --  Also, to determine on a national scale
if the breed is maintaining quality, improving quality, or losing ground.

THIS HAS MORE TO DO WITH CONFORMATION, MOVEMENT, BREED TYPE, AND
TEMPERAMENT THAN IT DOES WITH HOW WELL THE HORSE IS TRAINED.

Best Regards,

Carol Rivoire

Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II