This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> In a message dated 8/23/99 19:56:18 Pacific Daylight
> Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> writes:
>
> <<  if we had someone who  is a breeder of fjords
> out there evaluating every
> else's fjords even  though they might have the
> knowledge to do a great job
> that they may be
>  a little partial to their friends or horse that
> have their bloodlines in
> them? >>
>
> Yes!  This was my first and only thought on this
> subject.  Even it the person
> was trying to be impartial and subjective, they
> would have their emotions
> tied in a bit too much to be objective.

Actually, ANYONE who owns even one equine of the breed being evaluated
could be perceived as "prejudiced toward a certain bloodline or style".
 We all have our preferences in what the horses we personally own look
like.  So WHERE are we going to find that "perfect", "non-subjective"
evaluator?  I suggest that such a person does not exist, unless that
person has no tie whatsoever to the breed being evaluated.  That puts
us back to trying to train a QH, Paint, Morgan, etc., etc., judge to
evaluate Fjords.  Is that what we want?  I think we need to be
realistic here.  The trick to becoming a good evaluator, it seems to
me, is in both knowing the breed well(which usually requires more than
just a "passing interest" in the breed), and then acquiring the
necessary training to "know why you like certain animals" - this is
indeed an eye opener!  Sometimes you find out that what you thought was
correct, or desirable, is really not.  So, to be an evaluator one needs
knowledge of/interest in the breed, education, and last(but by NO means
least) experience.  It looks like a long road to go, but if the person
starting down that road already has an avid interest in the breed plus
plenty of experience with the breed - as a breeder, trainer, owner,
whatever - they have a start on the road.  Where else are we going to
find evaluators, or people willing to at least try training to be an
evaluator, if they don't come from within the breed?  We are all
subjective to some extent, the trick is to LEARN enough objectivity to
be an asset to the breed as an evaluator.

Mary

===
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms