This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks, Brian for your answer.  I think the beauty of this breed IS the
range of size and type so there is a Fjord to please just about anybody!

Some friends here have three fjord gelding:  one is less than 13 HH, one is
around 14-1 and the third is huge, 15-1 with large bone, rather coarse
head, but not "drafty'.  The big one is the low man in the group, but he is
great with kids, can jump and has lovely gaits, huge stride.  He's a wimp,
tho and like a big lazy kid.  The smallest one is  incredible, brave,
smart, takes care of his "kid" and has a proud presence that flaunts it.
He is the performer of the three.  All three are now at our local fair,
drawing crowds of people each time they're taken out of the stalls, and
demonstrating what a versatile breed this is, with a variety of sizes and
talents to suit about anyone!

My mare Stella was imported from Norway and I proudly tell people that, but
my old gelding Bjarne, of some of the old Canadian breeding (he has the
same grandfather on both sides, Stolman-C1) is the one the kids are drawn
too, with his huge soft eyes and his proud manner.  I too get a little
irritated at those belittle
the older North American Bloodlines in favor of the trendy imported ones.
VIVA La Variete! (or something like that)  I hope we never lose the wide
range of sizes and types!

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, a sunny day after rain all day yesterday AGAIN!

>  Many of us are looking for a Fjord
>with certain characteristics.  We've heard it here on the List in the
>last few days; Some want a larger Fjord because they think they will feel
>more comfortable riding one.  Some want a taller Fjord because they think
>that style will be better able to compete in dressage.  Think about it;
>Even if you are a person that likes the traditional size of Fjords, don't
>you tend to admire a big, strong colt more than just an average one?
>There is something about us that admires bigger and stronger.

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]