This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        Been thinking about breeding for color.  It definitely has its
dangers.  For example, there was a stallion at a barn where I boarded who
had beautiful "paint" coloring.  Apparently a very unusual version - spots
in all the right places, I guess.  Anyway, the barn owner/manager was trying
desperately to convince the owner that he was NOT breeding quality.  This
horse was desireable as an English horse because he was tall - but, as the
vet who examined him pointed out - the "tall part" was because of his
extremely upright shoulder.  He had absolutely no reach in front.  He was
also extremely narrow in his chest and could never have good "hunter
movement."  So... there is an example of one reason not to be "blinded by
color."

        Specific to Fjords - it is my understanding that the red duns tend
to have shell-like feet.  Does this mean that horses that produce red duns
should not be bred?  Are the shell-like feet an inevitable part of the red
dun breeding?  Or could one consciously attempt to improve the feet of the
red duns in the breed.  (Does anyone know anything about foot quality and
color in horses?)

        As to greys, maybe they have bad conformation that is inherent in
the grey color.  Perhaps they get melanomas like the other type of "grey"
horse? (I don't think so - but it makes a good example.)  If there is
something inherently wrong with the greys, then they should not be bred,
except as an unintentional result of breeding brown duns.  Or, if greys are
basically sound animals, but the temptation is to breed poorly conformed (or
poorly dispositioned) grey Fjords, then the solution is to simply be equally
careful about breeding grey duns - and to avoid being blinded by color.

        Re news of my own baby and his antics - we are doing much better
with more practice and rotating in a more physically fit babysitter.  We
moved Gunthar into the pen and the next day Benson (aka Baby Jaws) was
leading much better.  He is still a bit of a wild man on a lead rope at
times, but the biting has almost completely stopped.  He just needed a
playmate to gnaw on. :)  About a week ago I looked out to see Benson rearing
up over Gunthar's back - only to find out that Gunthar would use that as a
perfect opportunity to nip at his soft underbelly.  They both looked like
they were having a grand time!

        Well - hope this is food for thought and more discussion.

>This only means that we are all different individuals who have different
>tastes.  It does not mean that we ignore the breed standard - within the
>limits of correct conformation, temperament, soundness, movement and
>overall quality, each of us looks for characteristics that we especially
>like.  Every breeding program has goals which are similar to, but
>different from every other program.
>
>I'm getting the impression that some folks view breeding for grey as
>different from an ordinary, conscientious breeding program focused on
>maintaining the quality of and even improving the breed.  Interested in
>input and/or discussion.
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]