This message is from: "Meredith Sessoms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Cathey Magill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My horse has been rubbing his tail for the
>past year and now the top is completely bald.  We've tried everything.

Dorina had a spell where she had been rubbing her tail and a full third of
it was rubbed off to the tail itself.  The thing that helped her was
combing!  I found great big quarter sized flakes of dandruff up close to the
skin.  It's my guess that when her tail got wet the germs had a hey-day in
all that dirt and dandruff and made her tail itchy.  I combed and brushed
her tail out as often as I could, more than once a week, until I got all
that dandruff and dirt out.  I was afraid to wash it while it was dirty for
fear that that would make the problem worse.  So I combed and combed and two
years later I got to see her full and beautiful tail in its glory until
she rubbed it off again!!!!!

Anyways, since then, I try to make tail brushing and combing a part of
regular grooming.  I read in an all-breed magazine to never brush or comb
the show horses tail until just before the show and to keep it wrapped up.
I don't think that applies to Fjords at all!  I try to keep my ponies tails
brushed,
combed and clean as close to the skin as I can.  For one thing, they have
such thick tails that they have enough hair for four QH's!  I don't worry at
all about breaking the hairs off with frequent grooming, but I still want to
groom gently.

Last summer, Aagot started itching all over especially her tail and
undersides, I vegetable oiled her udder, brushed and combed her tail, gave
her a shampoo, cleaned her udder and lightly scrubbed it with a soft cloth,
and rinsed her real good.  She immediately stopped itching and tail-rubbing
so
much.

Meredith Sessoms
Soddy-Daisy TN USA