This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Since the recent discussions about weight probably have many people
wondering how much a horse can safely carry, I'd like to offer some
information that I have read and believe to be reliable.  Perhaps also
Keith Brighton or others that have packed extensively with their Fjords
can comment.

For several hours riding on fairly gentle terrain AND WITH A HORSE THAT
IS IN SHAPE, the average horse in good health (Fjord or other) can safely
carry 25% of it's weight.  So, for a 1,000 lb horse, that's a 250 pound
rider.  For a 1,200 pound horse, that's a 300 pound rider.

--Remember that this guideline is for a horse that is not overweight.  If
a horse is a fit  1,200 pounds, then carrying 300 pounds as stated above
should be no problem.  If, however, the horse should really weigh around
1,000 instead of 1,200 and he/she is carrying a 300 pound person, that
horse is actually carrying 250 pounds too much.  (The horse is 200 pounds
overweight and is carrying 50 pounds more person than he should).

--If the ride is to be an all day trail ride, 20% is of the horse's
weight is better.  (Keith - any comments?  I'm interested to hear from
your experience whether you would say the same, or more or less?)

--These guidelines are for horses that are in good shape.  If you ask a
horse that is not in good shape to do this, will he be able to do it?
Probably.  But will he suffer for it?  Definitely!  I am constantly
amazed and distressed at the number of weekend or once-a-month cowboys
who take their horses out for a 15-20 mile ride who don't even give a
thought to how hard it's going to be on their mount.  What's even more
amazing is that their horses don't end up with more problems than they
do!  But that's actually contrary to my point.  You are asking for
problems if you treat your horse this way.  Heart, lungs, muscles, bones,
joints, ligaments and tendons all need to strengthen to tolerate this
kind of exercise.  Dave McWethy posted a good message to the List
sometime back having to do with the stages of conditioning, and he could
tell you that this kind of 20-mile, once-a-week or once-a-month ride does
not build up or strengthen anything; it tears down instead.  Please avoid
being a weekend or once-a-month cowboy.

--Somebody (sorry, can't remember who) made the excellent point that
there is a big difference in riders.  A 250 pound person who knows how to
balance and help the horse is easier on a horse than a 150 pound person
who doesn't.  Have you ever given someone a ride on a bicycle or
motorcycle?  It's incredible how much harder it is to turn if the
passenger does not know how to lean into the turns with you.  Or how
about giving someone a piggyback ride?  If your passenger is leaning back
while you're trying to go forward, you just about can't go!  Now we,
being only 25% or less of the horse's weight, don't have quite that much
influence the horse, but the principle still holds.   So a horse can
carry a 200 pound rider who helps, much easier than a 200 pound person
who just sits there.

Brian Jacobsen, DVM
Norwegian Fjordhest Ranch
Salisbury, North Carolina