This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I, too, was in a quandry on whether to shoe or not to shoe.  I drive on ag
lime/fine gravel roads, in the parks which is mostly hard packed dirt and
grass, and the road occasionally (blacktop).  Because the roads wore away his
hoof so quickly, I opted for shoes only in the summer months.  I figured I'd
rather be safe than sorry.  Worrying is something I'm really good at, so
instead of worrying everytime I went out, I felt it was worth the money to
make sure the drive was enjoyable with no worry!  It did take him a few weeks
to get used to the shoes.  He kept clicking his front shoe with the front of
his back shoe, at first.  Now, he keeps himself "up" more and only does it
when he gets tired at the end of a drive.  My farrier rolls up the front hoof
just slightly to make him break a little earlier.  When winter comes, I pull
his shoes and we sleigh in the snow, shoe-free.

That's my experience -- hope it helps!  Susan in Minnesota