This message is from: Cynthia_Madden/OAA/UNO/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jon and Mary,
Since Steve and I have always boarded our horses and carts, etc., I have some
very definite ideas on what I want as a boarder and if I ever ran a boarding
operation (see CAVEAT at end). Here is how I would do it:

First, I would sit down with some software or SBA handouts and do a business
plan. The economics of boarding are very tricky. I believe it can be done, but
it is best to know the market as well as the costs before you invest any money
and time in upgrading your facilities. If you want any help with this part, let
me know.

 I would do as little stall boarding as possible. It eats up a lot of money and
time . Buildings are very expensive and cleaning/maintaining them is time
consuming with reliable help hard to find (or you will be putting in 20 hour
days). Instead, I would have lots with run-in sheds or better yet larger
pastures with good fencing and large adequate shelters  (our horses have always
been maintained this way and are very healthy and have no mental health issues)
. Where I would put my money is a good and lighted outdoor arena, or up where
you are consider an indoor arena -  after you have proven you can get enough
business -  with facilities for your boarders to groom and tack their horses, a
good dry tack room, a restroom, and carriage storage area (for me!) Make sure
your hay storage is not close to any stabling. You need to have a good parking
area with room for trailers.

Going the outdoor boarding route is particularly effective if you can only
handle a limited number of horses because you won't make money on a stall
boarding operation unless you can do a lot of horses - the economics are just
not there and time invested is considerable. Don't get greedy.  Board only the
number of horses you can realistically deal with landwise and laborwise. The
biggest problem I have seen in places I have been is too many horses and not
enough help. Any pasture gets overgrazed and then you have to buy even more hay.
In most boarding operations where I have been, the pasture horses are the gravey
money. No major labor costs or building costs. However, usually the pasture
horses and their pasture are the most neglected and ignored. I have been most
satisfied  where the pastures are well maintained and the horses are inspected
regularly and treated with respect.

I would have a good contract that clearly spells out boarder and operator
responsibilities. I agree with the no dogs and no unsupervised children. I would
also insist on helmets (especially for those under 18) , but I know many people
don't. The contract would specify that shots and farrier care would be done by
certain times or billed to the boarder.  I would have a really good insurance
policy. Offer an incentive discount for on-time payment of 2 to 5%. Make up a
list of charges for extra care and services so that people know what they have
to pay for. If you charge to handle a horse when the farrier  or vet comes, then
let people know it ahead of time.  (And don't hesitate to charge for those
services - your time is valuable.) Post rules clearly and make sure everyone
understands them (including children). I also like the idea of isolating new
horses from the others for a period of time to make sure they have no
communicable health problems.

Boarders are especially happy when they know their horses are cared for by a
knowledgeable and attentive operator who treats each horse as if it were his or
her own. It is also nice when an atmosphere of friendliness and helpfulness are
present. (which I know would not be a problem for you).  Plan the occasional
picnic and/or trail ride to promote people getting to know each other and do
things together.

CAVEAT: If you really enjoy working with your own horses and like to do lots of
things with them, then forget about doing a boarding operation. You will find
that you rarely have time to enjoy your own horses. Why do you think we board?

Cynthia Madden
Omaha, Nebraska USA