This message is from: "Teressa Kandianis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We put in the wire encased in vinyl - I believe it is called Centaur - four
strands between wood posts about 8' apart.  They have a range of choices
from the single strand to strips in varying widths.  We've seen what appears
to be relatively old installations of vinyl strips around here in Whatcom
County.  I haven't noticed that they are discolored but pretty much every
one of them were sagging quite a bit.

The strands we used are tensioned with tensioners at the corners and when we
first got our fjords, we had to retension practically daily due to leaning
on and through the strands.  The corner posts took on a distinctly inward
leaning aspect.  That's when we put in electric - one strand just below the
second strand of Centaur on the inside of the fence.    We're using a solar
powered unit to charge it and haven't had any problems at all with it
staying charged up.  And the fjords don't lean anymore and don't slither out
through the wires.  If we hadn't electrified the fence, I don't think any
kind of fencing would have kept them from leaning and so loosening the
posts.

We've just had the vinyl coated wire up since last summer but haven't
noticed any cracking or breaking - even around the tensioners where the
wires have been pulled out and retightened many times before we put in the
electric.  And when we switched to our next door neighbor's pasture to give
ours a rest, we just put electric around the perimeter and haven't had an
escape yet.   But the four strands of white and the posts look nice around
the pasture and since the pasture is in front of our house, we wanted a nice
look in addition to utility.

We did learn to invert the top hinge of the gates.  In attempting to
describe the fjord temperament, we've added the story about Nina's encounter
with the gate.  She loves to stick her head sideways through the bars and
then reach for grass on the other side...so before we inverted the hinges,
she apparently lifted up a walk through gate which is probably only 4' wide
(and must have unfastened the chain first  - have to do these things in
order, right?).  We found the gate in the middle of the pasture so we
figured she just kept grazing with the gate around her neck until it
eventually fell off.  Nothing to panic about as long as it doesn't interfere
with dinner.

By the way, they have slimmed right down - I think they were major porkers
before.  We're keeping their pasture mowed and they are turned out on it all
the time.  I still worry that they will go hungry as the grass is quite
short and they have to work at it.  Now that I know the sure signs of
obesity, can anyone advise on knowing if their fjords are getting enough
food?  (They get their muffins for nutritional supplements)  Is there a way
of calculating how much forage they can get in a given area?   Are there
other signs to look for to be sure they are getting enough food aside from
getting overweight?  It seems it would be easier just to put them in a dry
paddock and then give them hay according to their body size every day - but
how boring for them!

Teressa - still recovering from a couple of weeks in rainy, foggy, cold,
miserable Kodiak where I heard someone brought in the island's first fjord
mare and baby.