This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Wonder if you mean throatlatch?  A chin strap
> wouldn't prevent the one ear
> bridle from slipping off.  I have seen this happen
> on those bridles without a
> throatlatch.

Gayle,

Yes, I did.  Here we say "chinstrap", if I call it a throatlatch people
say "Huh?" so often that I've changed my terminology.  Guess I need to
be more specific and not "slip into the local vernacular" when posting
to the List.   Sorry.  So far as I know everyone still calls a
curbstrap/curbchain by the same name.  Someone even went so far as to
tell me in no uncertain terms that a "throatlatch" came on an ENGLISH
bridle (complete with curl of lip!) and a Western bridle had a
"chinstrap".  Weird.

People still need to be aware that without a throatlatch - chinstrap,
cheekstrap, whatever you want to call it - a single ear bridle can be
pulled off over the ears if it isn't anchored under the horse's jowls
somehow.  And it usually happens under the rules of Murphy's Law!!  I
know you see these single ear headstalls without throatlatch on the
reining horse pictures in the magazines, and in other places, but these
headstalls are made for very light contact on a shank style bit, not
for snaffle bits.  If you aren't riding with Western style light
contact ("two fingers" it's been called), you should probably be sure
you have your bridle anchored under the horse's jowl - or his cheek, if
you want to call it that.  Tie that puppy down around his neck!!  That
way there'll be fewer unwelcome "surprizes".

Stay safe.

Mary
===
Mary Thurman