This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 4/28/01 12:58:46 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Why bother shoeing them at all? I have never put shoes on any of mine in
 14 yr. It takes about 30 mi. on gravel before they get tender.

 When I had bigger horses I kept them shod because they needed them. Most
 fjords have tough feet. Just keep them trimmed. >>

   Just in the spirit of disagreement here <VBG>  I trim all mine who are
standing around for the most part, being worked at home in the arena or round
pen. I have also tried for years to leave mine barefoot in the winter, but
have a few who even require shoes then, as we have time for the most part,
due to fair weather,worked them during the colder months.

   I have never been able to get away with leaving mine barefoot while out
driving, riding ect. They go " off " withen a few miles, even quicker on
rocks or gravel roads. I wish it was not so, as my farrier bill is grand, but
so be it. The pair I use for showing is always shod, also 2 more here who are
getting ready for lots of road work. Most people who actually use their
Fjords for daily or almost daily work require them wearing shoes, evidenced
by all the Fjords we show with in the summer. Wish it wernt so.......Just
IMHO, of course. ( BTW, the ones running barefoot seem to hold up better than
other breeds we have owned however, like the QH's and Paints who couldnt take
a step without shoes. )   Lisa Pedersen * 74 here today, bright and sunny.