This message is from: "Laurie Pittman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello list,

      Well, I'm finally in my new place, but it's been a terrible week. The
furnace went out, my waterbed broke, no hot water, no water pressure, and
found out the hard way that the septic line was mostly clogged up. And to
top it all off, I had to put down my 18 year old Quarter Horse, Copper,
yesterday.

      I did know that it was going to happen, but it didn't make it any
easier. This move forced the decision that perhaps should have been made
some time ago. I've spent at least the last 12 years trying to keep Copper
sound. Took a few years just trying to convince anyone that he had a
problem. Then spent many years treating the symptoms but not finding or
solving the problem. I have Tor to thank for finding someone who could help
him. My trainers husband, who is an excellent ferrier, began addressing his
problems. I won't go into all the details here, but a year later I had a
horse I could use again. He's never been ridden again, but became a
wonderful driving horse. I was even able to compete with him in a CDE. First
time ever for both of us and we came in 4th in Training Level. What a blast!
He seemed to love it, (except for dressage). Over the last few years though,
Copper had a few set backs. It was hard for me to keep hauling 2 hours to
get his feet done, so I kept trying to find someone local who could take
over. Didn't work. Most of them didn't believe in what Tom was doing, or
they just couldn't duplicate his work. Every time we deviated from what Tom
said he needed, I had a lame horse again. I finally realized I couldn't
afford not to make that 2 hour trip. Since last summer even Tom hasn't been
able to get him completely sound. When I had a chance to get my own place, I
thought it was great until I realized that I would no longer be able to care
for him. There's no way I could board 2 horses plus deal with Copper's
problems. I tried to find a home for him (only with one to Tom's clients),
but who wants to take on an 18 year old, chronically lame horse that HAS to
be shod (plus wedge pads) or is dead lame? Sorry this is getting so long,
but I need to get it out.

      I've owned Copper for all his life. He was born here. First horse I
ever raised and he turned out to be the best one I ever had to this point.
He had a wonderful personality and always seemed to attract attention. I
always got compliments on his manners, even when showing him as a baby. As a
yearling I would use him to baby-sit young horses that I was hauling. When I
started riding him, people thought he was older because of his composure and
self confidence. He was a great trail horse too. Did more of that than
anything else with him. I only wish I had started driving sooner. He was so
much fun to drive. It's only been a day, but I miss him terribly, and Tor
can't figure out where his buddy is.

Laurie

PS. If any of you would like to see Copper, I have lots of pictures of him
on my website (on the main page and the My Horses page)
http://www.angelfire.com/wa/torshome