This message is from: Joel Harman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I wait until horses are 4 to start them under saddle. I will ride them
bareback sparingly as 2 yr olds. Maybe 10"  at a time - enough to get
them used to having something above them.

I ground drive yearlings, harness them at 2, & may put them on a cart
with an older horse when they are coming 3. In the spring I will put them
on a plow with 2 other horses. They will also will be used harrowing &
discing fields. There will be 3 or 4 discing, depending on what is on the
place. They will be on a mower & rake in late spring.

If there is any logging to be done, as 3 yr olds they will be in the
woods. When they get tired we take a blow. 3 yr olds are teenagers, they
get tired & sometimes have trouble staying on task. That is why I like to
use older horses with them so they learn to model good behavior & learn a
good work ethic young.

The stresses placed on an equines back in harness & under saddle are
different. (duh!).

By their 4th year when the saddle is put on it's no big deal. They have
been worked & handled alot. Their minds have done some growing too.

Brass Ring Ranch
Mosier OR

logging & custom farming with fjords.