This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Lisa, what you say re remaining in a building is correct to a point.  When
you are in a building and it starts to weave and rock, and things are
falling my first feeling is escape to flat clear surfaces.  Two year ago I
had just come in from seeing the physician (hmmm both of these last times I
have been seeing a physician, maybe it is all my fault!) with blood pressure
of 245 over 115.  I got home, collapsed into my chair and the earthquake
hit!  The fireplace was swinging back and forth, this time we were ten miles
from the epicenter where as the recent one was thirty miles away.  My walls
and doorways were swinging and I got out of there into my field.  Did I
mention I am on a bluff? In other words the home was not a safe place. Same
with the doctors office this time as we were in the flats where they build
on pilings over marsh lands.

I had quite a time opening my door when that first one hit as it was at an
angle.

Certainly the pictures out of Seattle where walls and marquees collapse
shows why in that situation you do not run under something outside.  And the
pictures of people in auditoriums where debris is coming down from the
ceilings,,, I would have been the first one streaking out!

Anyway I defer to your experience and will try when the next one hits, which
we are fatalistically anticipating, to be in a safe place.

Jean Gayle
Aberdeen, WA
[Authoress of "The Colonel's Daughter"
Occupied Germany 1946 TO 1949 ]