This message is from: Don & Jane Brackett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In the summer 2000 issue of Gated horses they have a wonderful article
about heavier riders and horses and what they can carry.

Wow, I know my math is not my strong point, but it seems as if that's
not much weight.  Our gelding is a big boy, 14.1 hands, 8 1/4" cannon
bone, almost 1100 lbs on the weight tape.  He's not skinny but he's not
fat either. Using that formula he can only carry a total (rider and
tack) of 150 lbs to meet 75.  Using a western saddle (30 to 40 lbs) than
he can only have a rider of 110 lbs. max!!    So I hope that formula is
wrong - he's my husbands trail horse and I imagine he was 110 lbs about
40 years ago! :)  On the other hand if it's a good formula than I can
use an english saddle and call him mine and go shopping for a percheron
and ladder for Don!!!

Jane
Maine where it is snowing yet again.  sooooo ready for spring, up in
northern Me. last week they had wind chills of -79F, we had a balmy -40F
wind chills (around -5F actual).